It is nothing new to say that stairs are the most critical and difficult areas to clean. Whenever you go for a thorough cleaning of the house, stairs always seem to be neglected. Not because you would not want to, but rather because it is almost impossible to reach out for every edge and every corner around in here.
The bulky vacuum cleaners only make the task more challenging. Up straight vacuum cleaners are almost impractical to be used for stair cleaning. Stick and canisters are a little well suited, but these are also not very much up to the mark. The result is that, stairs always get neglected either way. This guide is dedicated to picking the best vacuum for stairs. Read on!
Top 3 Best Handheld Vacuum Cleaners for Stairs
We have reviewed many vacuum cleaners and decided upon the 3 best handheld vacuum cleaners for stairs.
1. Black Decker CHV1410L Cordless Hand Vacuum Cleaner
- It uses a lithium battery and is able to store more energy per volume as compared to other products like the CHV 1410
- The batteries can provide high bursts of power
- Provides continuous suction
- 4-ampere motors to deliver a strong suction power
- Very handy for cleaning above-floor surfaces and car interiors
- Can pull in debris of all shapes and sizes
- Can be used over mats, carpets, upholsteries as well as hard surfaces
- Consists of an on board brushing tool to release maximum dirt out of the surfaces. This easily makes it the best vacuum for stairs.
- Consists of an on-board crevice tool
- Washable filters
- Charges very quickly
- Constant rate of discharging
- Charging stops automatically when battery is full
- Very handy and useful for stairs & pets
- Can be considered the best vacuum for stairs
- Provides a constant rate of discharging
2. BISSELL Zing Rewind Bagless Canister Vacuum Cleaner
- It is a canister vacuum cleaner
- This is applicable for a thorough cleaning of the entire house
- Comes in a very lightweight and compact design that makes it easier to carry the vacuum cleaner around the house
- The canister has a carrying handle
- Can be used for cleaning the above floor surfaces
- The suction can be adjusted in accordance with the surface being cleaned
- Can be used for auto interiors
- Does not use dirt collecting bags
- Uses dirt cup filters and post-motor filters for effectively trapping the fine dust particles
- Suitable for all types of floors
- Three stage filtration
- Can be alternated from hardwood to carpet cleaning modes with the simple flip of a switch
- Three stage filtration process
- Cyclonic action for powerful and continuous suction
- The filters are washable
- Has automatic cord rewind and air flow regulator
- The wand, being made out of plastic, is susceptible to breaking
- The flexible keeps on falling
- Not very great in cleaning carpets
3. Dirt Devil Stick & Handheld Vacuum Cleaner
- This is a very thin stick-style vacuum cleaner. Its trim design makes it possible to clean even the narrow spaces with great efficiency
- The cleaner also includes a detachable handheld vacuum cleaner that can be separated from the central unit if the need arises
- The handheld vacuum can be used to clean the narrow crevices and tight spaces
- It has wheels at the bottom for a smooth rolling
- Comes with a 16 foot cord and a cord wrap
- Uses a 1.25 ampere, 12 V motor that is capable of providing a constant suction throughout use
- It is appropriate for both the rugs and hard floors
- Lightweight and therefore very easy to be lifted and carried around
- Can be used to clean floor, furniture, counters, shelves, and drapes without damaging the fabric
- Uses a bagless design for dirt collection
- Perfect for quick regular clean ups
- Pulls up hair and lint very efficiently
- Can be used for cleaning food mess off the couches and furniture
- Lightweight and very easy to lift and hold
- Does not provide deep cleaning
- Not strong enough for thoroughly cleaning the entire house, floor to floor
- May not be able to pull up sand properly
So, the good news here is that there are in fact a few vacuum cleaners that are designed exclusively for cleaning the stairs. They have a very sleek design and are much more efficient than a regular vacuum cleaner. These machines can provide a thorough clean up without you having to put any extra manual effort.
With these machines, cleaning this crucial part of the house becomes nothing but a cakewalk. A few of these vacuum cleaners will be discussed in covered in this article so that you can have a clearer idea about their features, performance and the things to look out for while buying them.
Things to consider when buying a Stair Vacuum Cleaner
Size and weight
There are different types of vacuum cleaners, each with a different shape and size and different utilities. Some are meant for regular light cleaning while the others are meant for deep cleaning, some are meant for wide open floor spaces while others are meant to reach every nook, corner, and crevices. As for the stair vacuum cleaners, they should be very light and have a very compact design. Only then will it be possible to carry them up and down the stairs with comfort and convenience.
Since you will be constantly moving from one step to the other, dragging along a heavy machine will be a Herculean task. Unless you are physically very fit, it is not even possible. A lightweight machine, on the other hand, can be used even by the elderly in a much convenient fashion. Therefore, whenever you are making a purchase, it helps being very specific as to whether your machine will be subjected to cleaning the stairs as well.
As you know, stairs are made up of a collection of tiny steps, each with their tiny surface area. The tiny areas are always on the use and therefore end up catching a lot of dirt and stains, especially around the edges and the corners. As these surfaces are subjected to repeated use, the stains tend to get deeper. Before time, they become hardened, making stairs one of the most unhygienic places in the entire house. So when you are looking for the best vacuum for stairs, consider not only dirt removal, but also deep cleansing features so that dirt is efficiently removed from every angle of the steps.
If you have a pet, then you definitely know about the amount of shedding you get on the stairs. The pet hairs then tend to move towards and get stuck in the corners from where they refuse to come out. Therefore, it’s of utmost to choose a vacuum cleaner with strong suction that is powerful enough to drive the hair out of these corners. You may also want to try those with brushes that can free up the hair before being pulled up by the suction nozzle.
If you have a hard uncovered floor at the stairs, any normal stair vacuum cleaner with a good suction would do. However, if you have used carpet, you will be required to get the one that provides a deeper cleansing effect. The thicker and heavier the carpets, the higher should be the cleaning power of the machine. Now, the best vacuum for stairs should be able to combat this.
Ease of use
The best vacuum for stairs should allow you to have a steady body balance as you move up and down. The surface area of each step is very small and maintaining the right balance might get difficult if a bulkier machine is used. So go for the one that will be comfortable to use under the given conditions.
When it comes to cleaning the stairs, here is always the need to bend so as to get the maximum dirt out of the corners. This might not fit very well with the elderly or with those who have recurring back pains. Therefore, decide well on the type of vacuum cleaner you would want to buy. Stick vacuum cleaners with a long handle is very handy, but they should be flexible so that the cleaning can be done without bending or twisting around too much. Canister and handheld cleaners are considered the best vacuum for stairs. These are however better suited to the younger age group.
The Best Vacuum for Stairs – BLACK DECKER CHV1410L
All of these vacuum cleaners have a very good suction and a trim nozzle wand that can allow you to reach deep corners in the stairs and pull out maximum hair and dirt. All are very sleek, compact and lightweight, making sure that you can maintain your balance while doing the cleaning.
However, out of the three, the Black Decker is more popular among the customers. It is lightweight and easy to reach the hard places with. You can easily get into corners and bring it up and down the stairs without hurting your back. Therefore, this is the conclusion is, that this is the best vacuum for stairs.
This is mainly owing to the fact that it has a very compact size and a narrow nozzle which amplifies the suction. You can put the nozzle directly over the surface you want to clean. This produces a concentrated and therefore a better cleaning effect. The Black Decker also uses batteries; hence there is no need for power cords, a feature that comes very handy while cleaning stairs. Apart from that, the batteries get charged easily, prevent overcharging and also save about 50% more energy. This makes Black Decker handheld the best vacuum for stairs.